U.S. citizen departures totaled 36.3 million travelers for the first seven months of 2012
July Year-to-Date (2012/2011) Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) reached 17.5 million, up seven percent in the first seven months. Regional results were:
- Europe, 6.7 million travelers,up five percent
- Caribbean, 4.2 million travelers, up eight percent
- Asia, 2.6 million travelers,up seven percent
- Central America, 1.5 million travelers, up 12 percent
- South America, 1.0 travelers, up five percent
- Middle East, 891,000 travelers, up 14 percent
- Oceania, 322,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Africa, 222,000 travelers, up two percent
U.S. travel to North American markets totaled 18.8 million, flat from last year.
- Mexico, 12.1 million travelers, down one percent; air travel (3.6 million) was up four percent
- Canada, 6.7 million travelers, up two percent; air travel (2.0 million) also up by two percent
July 2012 Year-to Date Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locationsclaimed 48 percent of all U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe a 19 percent share;
- Caribbeana 12 percent share;
- Asia a seven percent share;
- Central Americaa four percent share;
- South America a three percent share;
- Middle East a three percent share;
- Oceania a one percent share, and
- Africa almost a one percent share.
North American markets received 52 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 33 percent share; and
- Canada an 18 percent share.
Total U.S. outbound travel by month: January, up one percent; February, up 12 percent; March, up eight percent; April, flat; May, up one percent; June, up five percent and July, down three percent.